7 quick takes...

The girls love cycling to the shop.
  1. Hello there! I need to start somewhere if I want to revive this blog after 3 months of bad neglect, but what's the best way? Telling why I didn't blog? (We travelled, and I never blog while we travel.) Telling Why I didn't start when we came back? (I have no idea either.) Or just write as usual, as if the neglect never happened? I wanted to write a summary of the trip, but how does one summarize 3 weeks in Namibia, a family wedding and 4 weeks in Europe in 7 quick takes? Impossible, right? So sorry, no summary, but just some stories from our every day life since we came back.
  2. A summary of the trip would be hard, but a summary of the past week is easy. One word, actually. The one word that says it all is 'hot'. We're in the middle of hot season, and everything we do seems to be about managing heat. We try to stay cool and hydrated, and that in itself is enough to keep one busy. I actually really like hot season; being hot is so much better than being cold. In a few weeks the rain will come and then all of this is a memory.
  3. But hopefully the rain won't come too soon, for two reasons. The first one being that early rain will delay the project that Hartmut works on quite a bit, and delay is never good. Secondly because my parents in law are coming for a visit, and we have planned a nice trip around the country. Travelling in Malawi is just a bit easier and more pleasant when the roads are dry.
  4. Our new house is on the lake, just like our previous two houses, but unlike there, we hardly ever swim in the lake or play on the beach. It's not that we have lost interest in that, but from our garden, we can often see a crocodile family basking in the sun. Not the kind of animal you want to encounter during your swim. The scariest is that they will always jump in the water and disappear under the surface, the moment we get in the water (with the kayak). It freaks me out because you have no idea where they are hiding. 
  5. Another thing we can do for hours is watching birds. Our new garden is home to an enormous variety of birds, and we frequently see new species that we have never seen before. Sunbirds, canaries, ibises and eagles.... They come in all kinds of colours and sizes, and they never fail to fascinate us. While we do school or sit down for a meal, we let ourselves often be distracted because it's just so much fun.
  6. As I am writing this, Sophie is working on a birthday present for Doris. Doris will turn six in a month and just like all the previous years, Sophie is making sure that she will make her birthday special by showering her with gifts. I, on the other hand, am still clueless about what I should give her and what I should make for her, so any tips are welcome.
  7. I think it's time for our first jump in the pool, and then I'll peel some mangoes. 'Hot season' also means 'mango season' and we eat at least ten a day because they are just so delicious. I wish you a nice week!
  8. Ok, we do swim in the lake, just not close to our house. 

    We bought lots of 'engineering crafts' home from Europe. I am not sure who loves it the most. 

    A small solar powered car.