7 quick takes...






  1. Good morning! I am not really in the mood for a long epistle so today will be short. What doesn’t help is this nagging feeling that every day looks like the day before and a blog about nothing won’t make for an interesting read.
  2. We started this morning with a walk, because suddenly the girls have discovered the joy of going for walks. I love it. I used to start the days with long walks in our garden (aka countless loops around the house) but now they want to join and we have a change of scenery. I hope it stays.
  3. Sophie has gone to the fishing beach with Isa, one of the gardeners. She is still set on buying a boat, has made some drawings on how it should look like and now she needs to find out what things cost so that she can make a budget. She is very particular (understatement) so I wonder if she’ll get what she wants. But what she will get is a lot of valuable lessons so I am not discouraging her.
  4. A few weeks ago, twelve chicks hatched and we loved all of them. But lately we noticed that they went missing, one by one. They  are not yet free roaming so we wondered what happened but last week we found the culprit; a bog monitor lizard. We have moved some animals around and now the chicks and their mom live closer to our house, hopefully that helps.
  5. ‘Trust the process.’ That’s what I learn from homeschooling the girls in the way we do. I don’t specifically teach spelling or handwriting but trust that it will come, and it does. The girls love writing books and while they come up with stories, they come across many words that they don’t know how to spell. So they ask. Sometimes it feels like I am spelling out words a thousand times a day, and if the words come with a specific spelling rule, I explain why it is spelled that way. I filmed this movie a little while ago, but only edited it last week, and it is so much fun to see how Sophie’s spelling has improved and how her chicken scratch has become easier to decipher. At this point in their learning, I don’t believe that me pointing out all their mistakes in spelling and writing would help them much, instead I like to foster a love for words, a love for reading and a love for writing… the rest will follow.
  6. My upper body is sore. Yesterday we did pilates and although I do it quite often, my body still protests afterwards. But it’s the kind of pain that makes me grateful, because it means that I have a body that works and that enables me to do things that I enjoy. (Although yesterday I did not enjoy pilates.)
  7. Wow, this day ran away with me. I did start writing this morning, but then other things happen and now it’s almost supper time. Food is ready, Hartmut is on his way and the girls are outside feeding the animals. I wish you a happy new week!