7 quick takes....




  1. It’s just before ten and the sun is hot and strong. We are sitting outside at our picnic table on the porch. I’m grateful for the shade because without it, it would be too hot. The girls are drawing. Ducks, unicorns, stars and more ducks. I am planning to draw too. Draw the pictures from the past week. Not with my pencil (I’m pretty useless at that) but with words so that the images in my head can be shared and remembered.
  2. I’ll start with this and then shut up about the virus that is controlling everybody’s thoughts and behaviour. There is enough written about it and I don’t need to add more. But last week, the day we knew would come, came. The first positive test in the country. Not one but three. And the day after that another one. So that’s that. For a very long time, Malawi was one of the few countries without infections but now it’s been added to the very long list of countries who have them. Not much has changed since. The people I have talked with don’t seem too nervous. It’s another disease that can kill you on the already very long list of things that can kill you in a country that doesn’t have adequate recourses to deal with any of them. There is a lack of money, and a government that seems very keen to make most money fall into the laps of themselves and their relatives. That’s why, for once, I was really positively surprised by the latest speech from the president. He announced that he, and all the government ministers are taking a 10% wage cut for the next three months in order to raise money that can help the country to fight the virus.
  3. Have you seen the tiger in our kitchen? The snake in our garden and the horse on our porch? Those augmented reality animals are quite popular and I understand why, It’s really fun to see them show up in your house (If you don’t know what I am talking about, google an animal, click on the ‘show in 3d’ button and follow the steps. It’s fun!). Last week we even had a monkey in our house, but I wish that was an AR version too. If it would have been, the girls would still have all the windows in their room intact. The monkey sneaked in through an open door and stole some apples from the fruit bowl. He then got startled and ran upstairs. There he tried to go through the closed windows and in his panic, he broke a few. He hurt his legs in the process and the end result was a messy room with glass and monkey blood all over….I don’t mind the monkeys outside but inside my house I would like to stick to the AR version of animals.
  4. If the world was normal, we would have been in Cape Town right now and gone to Namibia on Friday to celebrate Easter with Hartmut’s parents. But the world isn’t normal and we are here. Sophie isn’t too sad about that. ‘You need to celebrate the holidays with the people you love the most, and I love you and our ducks the most so I am happy we will be together with Easter’. She is planning on crafting an Easter breakfast out of duck food and I would not be surprised if their house will get some decorations. An Easter egg hunt in our garden will be fairly easy though. Both our mamma duck and the chicken are laying eggs (yup, the rooster has found out he is a chicken) so they are easy to find ;-)
  5. It was last week. My stomach was upset in a way that made me have to visit the bathroom every ten minutes. I decided that it was best to not do too much. Overdoing things when your body tells you to slow down doesn’t seem a wise thing in times like this. It’s never wise, but now it seems even more vital to keep your body as health as possible. So between the frequent bathroom visits, I just relaxed, read and watched the girls. And I realised how happy I am, how blessed (don’t like the word as it’s overused, but it’s true). Sophie and Doris played. The whole day. And I observed. Their play meandered between the craft corner, the book shelf and the lawn in front of the house rather organically. They never had to agree on what would happen next, where they would go or what they would play with as they just understood each other. Their play reminded me of the flowing of a river, the two girls being two drops of water in that same stream. Moving together to wherever the river took them next, sometimes close, then further apart but always together in the same direction. They play is driven by an urgency to learn and to explore but in the same time executed as if they have all the time in the world. And actually, they have. And because of it, they will move forward, and they will learn. I will watch and I will see them grow while I pat dry the trail on my cheek that’s left by a tear of pride and happiness.
  6. Any reason to celebrate is a good one. If it was up to the girls, we would have a birthday every week, pretend or real. For us, for the animals, for the toys and for anyything else that seems worth celebrating. So when there is an actual reason to celebrate, a real one, we have no choice. This Sunday was palm Sunday, and what better reason to celebrate is there, than to celebrate the Easter-period to the fullest?! The party that's not just a party but a time to remember that death is dead, and love has won! Especially in times like these…. So we decorated crosses and baked chicken (duck)-shaped breads and did a parade on the beach. We celebrate life and the bringer of that life! Especially now.
  7. We don’t have many plans for the week, but what’s new about that? We like it that way. Although, this week is a very special with Good Friday and the Easter weekend coming up. We will read, craft and bake in preparation for that and I am already so excited!