32 reasons to love you...


Hartmut. I am sure that by the time you read this, you have already had a nice birthday breakfast. The girls have given you their sweet presents (they insisted on making art for you.) and we have probably already gone to the museum and gone for brunch (thank you for allowing me to choose what to do on your birthday!). maybe you read this while you wait for the fire to make coals for the braai. Maybe you read this after everybody has left, when we are tired and happy after a fun party. It does not really matter.  I hope that you feel celebrated and loved. I hope that you felt how much we appreciate and value you. I hope that today made you happy and I pray that today will be the start of an epic new year with lots of adventure, lots of laughter and a lot of God's guidance.

You knew this was coming.... 32 reasons why I love you.
  1. You, just you! I love you for everything you are.
  2. You are very intentional and thoughtful about the things you do.
  3. You don't keep your skills and knowledge to yourself but are always really eager to teach and train others to do what you do.
  4. You make me talk, even if introvert-Anneke does not feel like talking. (And that's good! Talking is good)
  5. You are the best dad our girls could ever wish for.
  6. I would not want to partner on this parenting journey with anyone but you.
  7. You are always keen for my spontaneous plans for family adventures.
  8. You do dishes. I rarely ever do dishes. That alone is a good reason to keep you ;-)
  9. Your subtle suggestions that I should repeat some dishes rather than coming up with an experimental new recipe every night.
  10. You are much better that me at keeping a straight face when the girls are so mischievous that it is sweet. 
  11. Your wisdom.
  12. Your hair. Especially when it gets so long that you actually need a cut to make you look like a respectable engineer. 
  13. You in your biker clothes. (I never thought I would say that.)
  14. Your carefully planned weekend breakfasts are better than any breakfast in any restaurant.
  15. Your way of supporting me through all my wild and irresponsible dreams.
  16. You are my anchor. Without you I would float away into a world of philosophical theories and good ideas but nothing would ever happen.
  17. You pay bills the moment you open the envelop. And you open those envelopes the moment you see them. I would just throw them in a drawer and hope they go away (I am not terribly good at adulting without you.)
  18. Your hospitality to anyone.
  19. Your smile can warm my heart any time.
  20. You always let me sleep a little longer in the morning. 
  21. Your loyalty. 
  22. Your ice cream addiction (I gladly come along when you need to get your fix.)
  23. Your dedication for everything you do.
  24. You always bring the girls to bed. I am pretty sure that it's their favourite moment of the day. 
  25. Your photography. You are learning so quickly!
  26. Your family. I would marry you, even if I did not like you, because I love your family.
  27. You are a master oats-maker. I don't know what you do with your oat porridge but the girls tell me every time again that yours taste much better than when I make it. 
  28. I loved learning to surf together. (When are we going again?)
  29. Your love for maintenance and fixing things is remarkable. Nothing is ever broken for long and you usually catch something before it really breaks.
  30. You dance with the girls. It's just the best.
  31. Your dedication to God and spending time with Him.
  32. You "see" people. 

When I was 10, a 32 year old seemed ancient. But now I know that life is only starting. I love every day with you, and the days that we are not together make me realise even more how much I love every day with you! I want to grow grey, wrinkly and really old with you.

X

Ps: Sorry, I should take more pictures of just you. This was the best I could do.