7 quick takes...

I guess this is a sign of a happy life ;-)
  1. Good morning! Sophie has been begging me to teach her how to make maps (as if I know how to do that) so I promised I would write a quick post, and then we’ll map the world around us. I may not know how to make maps but some books we got a few weeks ago are about map making, so I am not completely lost. We’ll just follow the steps and hopefully learn a lot.
  2. The weekend was good. We baked bagels and apple cake, we braaied, we swam, and we relaxed. I could also write ‘we got annoyed with the slow internet, the constant chirping of cicadas drove me crazy and the girls fought over things that are too small to even mention’ and it would be true too. Fortunately that was only a small part of the weekend which is why it still felt like a good one.
  3. We got ducklings! They hatched yesterday and they are cute. It’s the sixth time this year but it still brings us joy which makes it worth to mention on the blog. The girls are over the moon because their wish came true. Up until now, we have only had yellow-brown ducklings but out of the twelve that hatched yesterday, three are yellow. Too cute.
  4. It’s 1AM, and I am looking at the ceiling. I can’t sleep because what started as a slight drizzle has grown into a majestic shower that’s rattling on our roof. It’s the first rain of the season, and it caught many people by surprise. Around here, the real rain start in December and when it comes, everybody is happy. But the weeks before are often marked by ominous skies and some surprise showers. It’s the same every year. I think about the people I know, and about how they will hate this rain. The reason for this is another thing that is the same every year. Many Malawians decide that their roof needs fixing just before rain season starts. They take off their roofs to put on new grass and plastic (or, if money was good, corrugated iron). As a result, many people sleep in roof-less houses for a few weeks until the job is done. It’s important to have a good roof to protect you from the rain. I get that… I just don’t understand why people always take the gamble to do it in the months with surprise showers if there are at least six months that are completely dry. But I am sure there is a good explanation that I don’t see.
  5. A small tent, made from sticks and pieces of fabric, is erected on the square. Inside it is a beautiful rug and a comfortable big chair. The chair is a throne for a small boy. He is six and dressed in a full suit. In his hand he holds a stick, decorated like it’s a chief’s stick. His serious gaze is fixed on something in the distance while the people outside the tent dance, sing and throw money around. The money will be for him, because this is his ‘Chinamwali’. I have been told that, traditionally, the birth of a baby doesn’t really get celebrated because the baby first has to ‘proof’ that they are strong enough. Once the baby has reached the age of six, people are more confident that this child will survive and that’s a reason to throw a big party. I am not entirely sure that the boy enjoys his party. The people outside seem to have no problem with that as they party to their heart’s content. The DJ cranks up the volume to as loud as it gets and the master of ceremony yells through the sound system which group is next in line. When it’s your turn, you dance to the middle of the circle and make a bit of a show out of throwing money into a basket. Everybody watches and the amount you give is very important. I obviously wasn’t prepared for this so when it was my turn, I quickly grabbed the money that was in my bag. It wasn’t much. First I threw in a 20 kwacha note (2 Euro cent) and the crowd boo-ed. Oops, not enough. Next up was a 500 kwacha note (57 Euro cent). No more booing but no approval either. My last option was the 2000 kwacha note (2 Euro 20) that I still had. I threw it in and the crowd cheered. Reputation saved. But practises like this can be hard on people. Not going to parties is not done, but if you don’t give enough money, your social status will sink too. Perhaps this tradition, that happens at weddings too, is the reason for the unfinished roofs. I ask Tryson. ‘It’s a problem’ he says. ‘Because if you stand at the side and don’t give more, you feel ashamed so you go back to spend more money than you had agreed with yourself. But on the other hand, next time the wedding or chinamwali is in your family and if you give much, people will give much to you. It’s a way of helping each other.’ (Funny side note, in our old village, 20 kwacha was very acceptable, 100 kwacha was a fortune, but here it is different because there is a bigger cash flow. I find this money giving thing as a foreigner always difficult. You don’t want to give too little and insult people, but too much wouldn’t be good too, but what is too much?! Because of that, I actually had another present in mind that I already told the mom about. I had taken a really nice portrait of the boy that I would print and frame. I thought that that got me out of the money thing but I was wrong. One day I will learn that creativity and a personal touch in gift giving isn't done here ;-))
  6. Remember the rooster? He isn’t dead after all. He just moved in with a chick from the neighbours. Tryson found out about it and went to fetch him with the girls. Sophie and Doris were delighted and the rooster got covered in hugs and kisses. However, Hartmut wasn’t thrilled to see him back. This rooster likes to crow in the middle of the night and it always wakes up Hartmut. His first night back at home, he decided to entertain Hartmut with a concert at 1 AM and he was less than happy. In the morning, he let the rooster go again. Mr Rooster ran straight back to his girlfriend. The end of the story is that Tryson went to fetch him again and adopted the rooster so that we can still visit him. But now his neighbours are complaining about all-night-concerts so if anyone knows how to teach a rooster about clocks, let me know ;-)
  7. Sophie says I am done. I guess I am. Have a great week. Stay safe and sane and don’t take yourself too serious.

They are not always this dirty, I promise ;-)



We did a pancake picnic on the beach.
Lots of money for the boy. (although 'lots' is relative)


The chinamwali tent



So cute!