4 quick takes....



  1. Waves crashing onto the beach with force, although not as much as the past days; the storm seemed to have calmed a bit. The twitching of weaver birds behind me, chatting with each other as they prepare their nests. Sophie and Doris, singing and talking while they pluck yet another bouquet of wild flowers to decorate the table. I squint my eyes to protect them against the bright sunlight. I should get my glasses, but I am sitting so comfortably here, on the balcony of a tree house. I should not get too distracted by overlooking the clean water of Lake Malawi, in a shade of blue that you only see here. The place from where this blog is written could be worse. But let’s keep things real. All the lovely noises are constantly interrupted by power tools and builders yelling at each other, the place where we are staying is amazing but also still a work in progress. But that’s just how I like it. We have been here a handful of times over the past two years and it’s amazing to see it take shape, to see it grow and mature.
  2. We are here visiting a friend who is building this amazing place (thanks Andrew!) because it’s very quiet on Hartmut’s building site. Because of the coronavirus (the contractor is Chinese and most of the workers are stuck in China) and some other reasons work has been slow for weeks. It’s great because it means that going away for a few days was not a problem at all. So we packed our bags, got on the ferry on Friday, and we will only go home on Wednesday again. I am grateful that we can still have spontaneous adventures. I was always scared that that would stop once we had kids, and I was nervous that it would break me as I have never been very good at routine and predictability.
  3. ‘Will we take this boat or the next one?’ Hartmut and I look at each other as we try to be strategic. It looks like rain is coming and rain will make the short trip on the small boat a lot less pleasant, plus all our luggage will be wet. But on the other hand, everybody seems to think the same because as soon as a boat comes in, everybody pushes everybody else out of the way to get a spot on the boat. We decide to go for it anyway. I carry the backpack with laptops and cameras, you know, the stuff that definitely should not get wet. Nota, the gardener, carries Doris. He is stronger and a lot taller than me and wades quickly through the water to the boat. He puts Doris on the wooden bench where she just sits and waits, while observing the surrounding chaos. I realise that I won’t stay dry, even if I want to, and walk to the boat too. The water is deeper than I expected and reaches up to my shirt but I get to the boat without being pushed over and pull myself on board. Hartmut and Nota bring Sophie and the rest of our luggage and the boat starts to move away from the shore. On either site of the boat is written that the maximum capacity of the boat is 22 people and there are only 30 people on the boat which, in Malawi, means that there is space for at least ten more. We are amazed because we can sit comfortably as the small white boat slowly moves closer to the ferry. Getting on the ferry is easy. The small boat docks next to the ferry, right under a ladder that you need to climb up while other people try to get themselves and their luggage up as well and some really impatient people use any gap they can find to go down and leave the boat at the same time. (You know the pushing that sometimes happen when too many people want to leave and get onto a train at the same time? Imagine that but with a ladder, two boats and open water). Hartmut climbs out first. Nota lifts the girls so that Hartmut can lug them safely on board and fortunately the girls know the drill, so they walk to a quieter site where they patiently wait until we have our stuff. The staff knows us and we don’t have to wait for the keys to our hut; it’s already open and waiting for us. A few minutes later we sit in the bar on the top-deck. ‘Well. That went smooth!’ Then I laugh. Two years ago, when we first arrived, we would have been overwhelmed by it all, the girls would have panicked and it would have been a little stressful. It’s funny how you can get used to anything and it’s great to see how kids can adapt and be so flexible.
  4. Can I get away with 4 takes today? I feel like not much else has happened and frankly, I don’t want to sit here, trying to wring out another few points while I could be downstairs having fun! Also, I promised the chef that I would teach him a new recipe for supper tonight, which I did, so I better go to the kitchen to see how he is getting on. Sorry people, next week I’ll be better. Have a great week!