7 (very) quick takes...

  1. Good morning! It’s going to be a quick one today, because I have an impressive to-do list. In a few hours our ride will be waiting to bring us (the girls and me) to Lilongwe for the week and I still have to pack + do many other things.  We’re going for the week because I have an exciting film project that I need to work on. More about that later! (but not today)
  2. Fortunately I woke up early. As I write this, it’s just past five. I’m still in bed with my laptop on my lap. At mu right, I can look through the window and see the most impressive sunrise over the lake, so beautiful. The reason that I woke up this early is a little less idyllic. A cicada found it necessary to give a concert right outside our bedroom and it’s hard to not get grumpy from that. Oh well, I’ll make the most of it and finish this blog before the girls are awake.
  3. This week we have been ‘strapped for cash’. Not because we did not have any money but because the bank didn’t. Five days in a row, Hartmut went to the ATM to try to draw cash, but there was never any money in the machine. It was only on the sixth day that he finally got some money out. Not as much as he wanted, but at least we got some. The problems you have while living in Malawi…
  4. We weren’t gonna have any more pets. That’s what I said. But that was before Sophie and I found a wounded bulbul (bird) in our garden. He cannot fly because his wing is badly injured. The girls are taking care of him, and he seems to be much stronger but I doubt that he will ever fly again. Right now he is living in the bath tub but Hartmut is building him a house that’s almost finished so and I guess we have added another member to our ever-growing animal family.
  5. (This is only funny in Dutch but I want to remember it, so I’ll write it anyway. )De meiden weten over het algemeen heel goed het verschil tussen Duits en Nederlands maar soms mixen ze het op de mooiste manieren. Vooral Doris kan er wat van.Doris (met een diepe zucht.) ‘Ik ben zo verlangd!’Ik snap er niets van en vraag ‘wat bedoel je daar mee?’
    Doris:’Nou gewoon, dat ik het saai vind…’
    Ik: ‘Bedoel je dat je je verveeld?’
    Doris: ‘Nee, ik ben verlangd…’
    Pas na lang nadenken snap ik het. Ze is ‘verveeld’+’gelangweild’=’verlangd’.
  6. It was my brother’s birthday this weekend, and he had the great and creative idea to organise an online family pup quiz. Because I’m one of six kids, it was easy to have enough teams between us and it was great fun. I have learned that I know very little about popular music but that my knowledge of politics and eye for details can compensate for that so Hartmut and I didn’t do too bad.
  7. Ok dear people. I will get up, pack and make breakfast. The girls are still sleeping. Have a great week. Stay strong, be kind to yourself and each other and don’t read the news too often. Xx