7 quick takes...

The base on Likoma

  1. Good morning! Hartmut left for work and the girls have decided that it’s a good idea to mix the pieces of their puzzles before making all of them. They will be entertained for a while. I have just made my smoothie (banana, peanut butter), done some core exercise, written my to-do list for the day and now it’s time to write my blog. Lately I am feeling a little uninspired to write the quick takes, so we’ll see how far I get before I give up and how far you get before you fall asleep because it’s that boring.
  2. The weekend was exactly how a weekend should be. Friday night was pizza-and-movie night. Something we often do. We watched Shrek, and I am very pleased that the girls have decided that Shrek is better than Frozen. It seems like there is light at the end of the princess-tunnel. Saturday we went to Salima for some grocery shopping. We also needed some things from the hardware market which is always a funny experience. Almost every stall looks like the salesperson raided the content of their grandfather’s workshed with rusted screws and lots of other bits and pieces in various state of completeness and disrepair. But somehow you always find what you want, somewhat, if you’re not too critical. At least it makes you creative. While Hartmut looked for a socket (I think) the girls and I went to the kaunjika-section. ‘Kaunjika’ means ‘to pile up’ and that’s exactly what it is. Piles of second hand clothes, some heaps more sorted than others. The girls found a unicorn legging that they loved and fitted. We can say that it was a successful trip.
  3. The afternoon was reserved for the ladies meeting from church. We were hosted by one of the woman who lives in our street and it’s great to get to know more people who live so close to us. Even though people are really friendly, I find it hard to move from ‘friendliness’ to ‘friendship’. Not understanding each other’s languages is obviously a big hurdle. But I feel that it’s even more so because it’s hard, to really relate because our lives are so different. Spending time together helps, and I am grateful for these opportunities.
  4. Sunday was for church, for relaxing and for sushi! We all love sushi and really miss it. So when we were in Lilongwe and saw sushi rice, wasabi and seaweed in the shop, I didn’t really check the price but just had to get it. We eat mostly vegan/vegetarian so the sushi was vegan too. I was a bit nervous that it would be ‘boring’ so I looked for recipes that seemed exciting, and I was blown away. So tasty! I roasted carrots in a miso-marinade, had crunchy fried onion, deep-fried shiitake mushroom, avocado, toasted sesame seed and soy-marinated tomato. We just made rolls (I did not have a sharp knife anything more ambitious would have been a disaster) with different combinations of those fillings and it was great! I am so glad that we have some left overs for lunch.
  5. I made a video about the girls and all our animals. When we moved here we did not really plan to have all these animals around us. It just slowly happened and now we love it! The girls love them more than anything else and I believe that they are learning so many life lessons from taking care of them and watching them grow and interact with each other. (scroll to the end for the movie)
  6. I almost forgot that it was only this week that we got back from Likoma. We had a great and relaxing time there. When we were going back, Doris said that she hoped that it would be super stormy on the boat and Sophie said that she hoped for the exact opposite. Doris got what she wanted and during the night, the boat was moving quite a lot. We hoped that the storm would calm before we arrived home because if the waves are too big the Ilala doesn’t stop right in front of our house but in a bay, a bit more north. That bay is very shallow so in order to get off the boat you have to climb on the strong shoulders from one of the guys who walk through the water to the boat. It’s awkward and a little stressful to sit so high on a stranger’s shoulders while you still get wet in the waves anyway. Unfortunately the storm didn’t calm, so we had to throw ourselves in the chaos. Fortunately the gardener from our compound walked all the way to the bay to help us which was very kind. He carried the girls to the shore while 3 other guys carried Hartmut, me and our luggage. It’s a great opportunity for the strong young man in that bay to make some money and they always try to get out as much as possible. We all had a good laugh when one of the guys told us that he deserved money too because he had carried the ‘mwanas’ (kids) while he was standing next to Nota, the gardener, who had actually carried them. Oh well, I can’t blame them, mzungus are easily fooled in the chaos there.
  7. Ok, time to get to the rest of my list. The power has disappeared and I wonder when it will come back, so I will first do the things that don’t require a laptop. Have a great week!


Home made sushi