7 quick takes...


  1. It’s the first Monday of the year. Not actually, obviously, but that’s how it feels. Christmas holidays always seem like this endless ocean of time where days don’t have names and dates don’t exist. But now it’s Monday, a real Monday. We are back in Malawi, we are starting with school today and it’s also a great day to write my first blog for the year. One never knows, but this year I have, more than ever, a sense that I don’t know what this year will bring. It’s ok.  I have learned to live with uncertainty and I actually like it. Probably because I know the most certain thing in the world; that the one who made it all and who has gone with us all the years before this year, has a plan and that plan is always good. Happy New Year!
  2. The pilot had already announced that we had landed in Malawi but when we stepped out of the doors of the plane unto the tarmac our bodies knew it too. The warm air, heavy with humidity, and so thick that it feels like you can eat it, wrapped itself around our bodies and we knew we were home. It’s rain season and I had forgotten how wet it is. No, I am not talking about the rain that comes down like a curtain with litres per minute. No, I am also not talking about the muddy soil that sticks to your shoes and leaves everything in a mess. I am talking about the balmy air that covers everything with a thin layer of water. When you get in your bed the sheets always feel a little damp, paper tears easily because it’s saturated with water, the toy baskets need a sunbath every now and then because they get mouldy and even the clothes in our wardrobe need to same treatment because otherwise mould grows on them if you don’t wear them often enough. Our skin always feels damp and sweaty, even if we are not doing anything, and sometimes I wonder if I will grow mould on my cheeks if I would sleep for too long. I like rain season, it turns everything green, fresh and alive, but that’s the part I could do without.
  3. The humidity is quite a contrast after three weeks in a hot and dry desert country. We had such a good break. It was amazing to be able to spend time with the family, to see the girls interact with people who love them just as much as we do, just because we are family. It was also fantastic to, for once, have babysitters; to be able to leave the girls at home while Hartmut and I went for a walk, a drink with friends or (one of the highlights) a historic quadbike tour through the Namib Desert. This holiday was a treat and my batteries are charged, ready to tackle whatever will come our way!
  4. We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary in Namibia, and even while I type this, it feels like a lie because those nine years have flown by fast. Saying ‘yes’ that day has been one of the best decisions in my life and those nine years have felt like the most amazing whirlwind adventure. I am grateful that we have more highs than lows, more fun than fights and that over the course of the nine years annoyances about dishes, toothbrushes and clothes on the floor have not taken away from our friendship (it probably helps that we both leave clothes on the floor). Our marriage still feels like I am doing life with my best friend and I pray for many more years like this. On our anniversary we happened to be together with Hartmut’s uncle and aunt who owned the farm where we got married and Hartmut’s cousin Gavin who took our wedding pictures. We had a quick spontaneous shoot to mark the nice years and those pictures, complexly un-styled, windswept and at the end of an active day, bring tears to my eyes. We have been blessed; our marriage isn’t great because we are great people; it is great because of grace.
  5. She walks extra slow between the people who are sitting on their camp chairs and enjoying the evening fire. You can see that she is trying to keep a straight face, but not succeeding to hide her proud smile. Her fingers play with the medal that’s hanging on a ribbon around her neck, trying to draw people’s attention to it, hoping that they will say something about it. And when they do they’ll be rewarded with the biggest, brightest smile and a story about how she got it. Doris and Sophie took part in a swimming competition and although every child got a medal, the girls are convinced that Sophie got first place and Doris was second. It was the second time that they did it but the first time, Sophie chickened out before the start. I can understand her, it’s an open water swim and the Atlantic ocean is very cold. The girls had to cross a bay and could use any floating device they wanted and, this is the only reason they can join, can be accompanied by an adult to help them. Imke and Elke took part in the adult competition (an impressive mile in the rough ocean) and after that Imke swam with Sophie and Doris with Elke. I like it that they get to take part in events like this, competitions are fun and it’s a nice introduction into the world of sports that they can be part of if they want.
  6. It’s almost 14 years ago, long before I met Hartmut, that I went to Namibia for the first time. I was there only for a month but in that period I met an American guy who worked as a missionary. We hung out a few times and had fun. Little did we know that our lives would take a somewhat similar path in the way that we both ended up marrying a Namibian. He got four children and still lives in Namibia. Last week the girls and I went to a bookshop and while we were looking at the books, I suddenly heard a voice that I had not heard in a long time but I recognised it (helped by the accent) instantaneously. We started to chat, our kids started to play and it didn’t take long before his daughter invited Sophie and Doris to her house for a play date. That seemed like a great idea so the next day we went and the girls (and I) had a lot of fun. They are homeschooling their kids too and it was fun to hear and see how they do it. I am so glad this happened; the plan is to move to Namibia after Hartmut’s project is finished here, and meetings like this helps the girls to know that they will have friends and helps me to know that I can be plugged into a homeschooling community.
  7. Talking about homeschooling; today is the first day of our new school year, although I don’t have a clear idea of what year we are doing. We are a bit all over, based on the girls’ interests and abilities. Sophie’s friends in South Africa are all starting grade R, the one year before real school starts, so when people ask, that’s what we are doing too. The plan for the first period is to study geology, because in Namibia the girls got very interested in rocks and stones, especially after we found a box of crystals on the farm and some beautiful stones at a scratch patch. I like it, because I know nothing about geology, but there is internet and I am confident that I will learn as much as the girls. We will start soon but right now they are still busy assembling a box of lego (their first box!) and I believe that that is great learning too. It gives me some time to finish this blog and to tick of a few more things from my list. Enjoy your week!